“Honeywell remains committed to driving innovation and tackling global challenges like climate change for a better future for all. 60% of our Research and Development Budget is invested in Sustainability research with a focus on bringing technologies that can protect environment and prevent climate change. Our Honeywell Technology Centre in Gurugram is focused on refining technologies, petrochemical production, and biofuels. It is a key contributor in developing sustainable solutions like Ethanol to Jet and Diesel, Carbon Capture technology, refrigerants & blowing agents under Solstice® that has a staggering 99.9% lower global warming potential than HFCs, and Battery Energy Management and Storage solutions to enable the transition to renewables and offering to enable plastic circularity to reduce plastic from going into landfills.
Additionally, we are actively working towards reducing our carbon footprint and contributing to a healthier planet by continuously implementing over 6,100 sustainability projects since 2010. We are well on our path to be carbon neutral by 2035. Honeywell Technology Solutions are powering innovation that has the potential to positively impact the planet.”
Electronics Era: Kindly elaborate on sustainable environment-friendly products offered by Honeywell.
Deepak Bisht: Honeywell helps customers throughout the globe to transition away from high global warming potential GWP hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) to next-generation solutions that can mitigate the impact of climate change.
Honeywell anticipated the need for low and reduced GWP alternatives more than a decade ago and invested $1B in R&D and manufacturing to enable the transition to next-generation technologies. This product suite is now commercially available through our Solstice® portfolio of reduced- and low-GWP materials based on Honeywell’s breakthrough hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) technology. HFOs offer improvements of 99 percent or more on GHG emission and are near drop-in replacements for HFCs. The ease of conversion to these environmentally preferable alternative refrigerants has enabled many forward-thinking companies to accelerate commercial adoption of these technologies. The widespread adoption of Honeywell’s Solstice® line of reduced and low-global-warming-potential refrigerants, blowing agents and aerosols has already avoided the potential release of more than 295 million metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, equivalent to the CO2 emissions from the energy used by more than 26 million homes.12 Honeywell’s Solstice® product suite offers a variety of materials for everyday use that cool, insulate, protect and comfort – all with low or reduced global warming impact.
Some of the Sustainable environment-friendly products offered by Honeywell are:
• Refrigerants: Honeywell is a global technology leader with a strong commitment to environmental responsibility. Their diverse range of refrigerants offers sustainable and environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional options. By focusing on reducing global warming potential (GWP) and carbon footprint, our
edge refrigerants provide safe cooling solutions while minimizing their impact on the environment. With ever-increasing environmental regulations, our eco-friendly products help businesses comply with stringent standards while maintaining efficient and effective cooling systems.
Our sustainable refrigerants offer innovative solutions for businesses seeking efficient cooling and heating solutions with a greener approach. These products ensure optimal performance while minimizing the impact on the environment. With breakthrough alternatives to hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), we eliminate harmful substances from their usage, contributing to the fight against climate change and paving the way for a more sustainable future.
Additionally, our commitment to sustainable refrigerants is evident in our unwavering dedication and relentless pursuit of environmentally friendly products. As pioneers in the field, our extensive research has pushed the boundaries of cooling technology, resulting in innovative advancements that enable businesses to prioritize sustainability. With an emphasis on environmental responsibility, we provide a clear pathway toward a greener future. Our focus on innovation and development ensures that our refrigerants not only deliver exceptional performance and safety but also adhere to eco-friendly practices.
• Blowing Agents: As a renowned leader in sustainable solutions, Honeywell is committed to driving progress towards an eco-friendly future. Our focus lies in the development of innovative blowing agents that play a pivotal role in manufacturing insulation materials. These materials not only enhance energy efficiency but also have a reduced environmental impact.
By replacing traditional blowing agents with our advanced alternatives, we have achieved significant reductions in harmful greenhouse gas emissions. Our blowing agents not only meet strict regulatory standards but also surpass industry expectations, setting a new benchmark for environmental performance.
Our cutting-edge technology enables us to deliver superior insulation performance, resulting in reduced energy consumption and lower carbon footprints. The exceptional thermal stability and insulating properties of our eco-friendly solutions ensure long-lasting comfort for residential and commercial buildings. At Honeywell, we are proud to be at the forefront of sustainable solutions, providing innovative blowing agents that not only meet the demands of the industry but also contribute to a greener and more energy-efficient future.
• ASCC (Advance solution Carbon Capture) solutions: The ASCC technology from Honeywell UOP addresses a unique and complex challenge in the field of carbon capture: capturing CO2 from post-combustion flue gases. Because of their low CO2 concentration and pressure levels, these gases pose treatment challenges. Honeywell UOP, on the other hand, has developed a solution that specifically addresses this issue through careful design and innovation. In this process, CO2 is absorbed into an amine solvent, separated from the solvent in a stripper, and then transported for utilization or geological storage. With a capture rate of over 95 percent, Honeywell’s ASCC technology can be retrofitted in existing plants or integrated into new installations.
Companies that use Honeywell’s Advanced Solvent Carbon Capture technology can significantly reduce their environmental impact by preventing CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere. This ready-to-use technology generates high-purity, storable carbon dioxide, allowing businesses worldwide to meet their carbon reduction targets.
Electronics Era: As a Global leader in Automation please tell our leaders how automation is involved in manufacturing these products.
Deepak Bisht: As global automation leaders, it is critical that we recognise the enormous importance of automation in manufacturing sustainable and environmentally friendly products. Automation is critical in the development of advanced technologies that not only improve operational efficiency but also contribute to a more environmentally friendly future. We have been deeply involved in incorporating automation technology into the manufacturing processes of some of our flagship products, including Experion Process Knowledge System (PKS), Controllers (C300), and Universal IO, to achieve our goal of a greener future. These products exemplify the fusion of cutting-edge automation techniques with sustainability principles, paving the way for a more environmentally conscious industrial landscape.
• Experion Process Knowledge System (PKS): It is an advanced automation platform developed by Honeywell. It is designed to optimize process operations and enhance plant performance in various industries, including oil and gas, refining, petrochemicals, power generation, and more. Experion PKS integrates multiple systems and applications into a unified platform, providing operators with a comprehensive view of plant operations and enabling them to make informed decisions in real-time. It combines process control, safety, and asset management functionalities, allowing seamless communication and coordination between different plant components.
• Controllers (C300): Honeywell’s C300 controller is a key component of the Experion® PKS platform, providing powerful and reliable control capabilities. It features a deterministic and flexible Control Execution Environment, which enhances engineering productivity, reduces maintenance costs, and maximizes process uptime.
The C300 controller is at the core of the Experion control system, executing control strategies, facilitating batch operations, and interfacing with different types of I/O. It also supports the hosting of custom programmable applications, offering flexibility and customization options.
With its robust performance and versatility, the C300 controller ensures the seamless and efficient operation of the Experion control system. Honeywell’s Experion® PKS platform, powered by the C300 controller, provides the knowledge and tools necessary to optimize process operations and achieve operational excellence.
• Universal IO: Honeywell’s UIO (Universal IO) module offers flexibility and efficiency in control system design. It reduces system footprint, wiring, and delays caused by late changes, while providing the freedom to choose different IO types within a single module. With 32 configurable channels for AI, AO, DI, and DO signal types, it simplifies configuration. The UIO module is available in redundant and non-redundant forms, HAZLOC certified, and designed for an extended temperature range of -40°C to +70°C. It exemplifies Honeywell’s commitment to innovative solutions for streamlined and adaptable control systems.
Electronics Era: What are other products on which Honeywell is working to attain a Net Zero carbon emission Company?
Deepak Bisht: Honeywell creates ready now technologies and solutions for the sustainable development of modern society. Honeywell’s deep knowledge of our customers’ industries and ready now technologies uniquely position us to help reduce their environmental impact. Honeywell supports its customers’ sustainability goals with innovative, ready now products that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, save energy, measure, and reduce carbon impact, and support the adoption of renewable energy sources. Step into the world of Honeywell’s commitment to Net Zero carbon emissions with our groundbreaking technologies:
• Honeywell Forge Sustainability+ for Industrials | Emissions Management: The Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform acts as a powerful unifier, seamlessly integrating data from Honeywell and third-party measurement devices, allowing for quick and easy “reconciliation.” We simplify data availability for both existing and new workflows with this cutting-edge platform. It enables organisations to calculate comprehensive greenhouse gas emissions, including methane emissions, and supports critical functions such as emission inventories, intensity monitoring, and tracking progress against targets and key performance indicators. We conform our reporting to industry standards established by agencies and sustainability disclosure frameworks, such as the prestigious UN OGMP 2.0.
The power of clarity is at the heart of this framework. It enables our internal stakeholders to make informed decisions by providing them with a comprehensive and accurate picture of our environmental impact. With precise data at their fingertips, they can make informed decisions that will help us reach our Net Zero carbon emission goal.
• Sensing Technology for Proactive Leak Detection & Remediation: In addition, we also demonstrate our commitment to a sustainable future through intelligent, automated visual monitoring solutions that integrate seamlessly with our powerful Software-as-a-Service framework. Under the same are two interesting technologies:
Rebellion Gas Cloud Imaging (GCI): A remarkable optical gas imaging system that transforms monitoring capabilities. GCI’s advanced features enable comprehensive surveillance by providing wide area and site-level coverage. It goes beyond traditional monitoring by detecting and tracking over 20 gases, ensuring comprehensive oversight of emissions across a wide range of industries.
Honeywell Versatilis™ Signal Scout: A ground breaking gas leak detection technology designed specifically for methane emissions monitoring. This innovative solution raises the bar in terms of accuracy and efficiency, allowing for the precise detection and identification of methane leaks. Signal ScoutTM’s advanced capabilities improve safety, reduce environmental impact, and support industry-wide efforts to combat climate change.
• Outcome-Based Services for Emissions Reduction: The ground breaking Emissions 360 services programme demonstrates Honeywell’s unwavering commitment to Net Zero carbon emissions. This tailored, outcome-based programme is intended to assist our valued customers in meeting their GHG emissions targets.
Our commitment to providing comprehensive support for integrated plant assets is at the heart of the Emissions 360 services programme. We go beyond traditional approaches by providing a comprehensive solution that takes into account the physical location, duration, and size of GHG emissions. Organisations can prioritise corrective actions that not only increase site productivity and profitability but also reduce ma Emissions 360 is more than just a service; it is a commitment to driving positive change. It enables organisations to meet their GHG emission targets, thereby promoting a greener and more sustainable future. Organisations can go beyond compliance and embrace proactive measures that lead to improved environmental performance with our expertise and support reducing maintenance costs by gaining this critical insight.
• Emissions Reduction Enabling Technologies: Furthermore, we provide a one-of-a-kind suite of products designed to optimise processes and reduce emissions, giving you the tools you need to make a long-term environmental impact. Our process optimisation and energy efficiency tools, such as digital twin technology, enable you to analyse “what-if” scenarios and optimise designs and operations, resulting in lower emissions.
In addition, to help companies achieve their sustainability goals, we offer cutting-edge solutions such as flare gas recovery systems, which are specifically designed to eliminate unnecessary flaring and reduce emissions. These systems recover valuable resources that would otherwise go to waste, thereby improving both environmental and operational efficiency.
In addition, we provide improved electrolyzer hydrogen production using catalyst-coated membranes, allowing for efficient and sustainable hydrogen production. End-of-life hydrogen-ready burners offer an environmentally friendly alternative to combustion processes, lowering emissions and promoting clean energy utilisation.
• Renewable Fuels and Sustainable Aviation Fuels: Honeywell is the leading licensor of technologies to produce renewable diesel and/or sustainable aviation fuel. Renewable diesel produced is cleaner-burning high-cetane transportation fuels chemically identical to petroleum-based diesel and lower life cycle greenhouse gas emissions by 50-85%. Sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), an alternative to conventional, petroleum-based jet fuel produced from a variety of sustainable feedstocks by Honeywell UOP’s EcofiningTM technology, can reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by up to 80% on a life-cycle emissions basis. Honeywell has launched a new, innovative Ethanol-to-jet fuel (ETJ) processing technology that allows producers to convert corn-based, cellulosic, or sugar-based ethanol into SAF.
• Carbon capture and hydrogen technologies: Honeywell’s new advanced solvent CO2 capture and hydrogen solutions allow for CO2 to be captured, transported, and stored at a lower cost through greater efficiency, while allowing for smaller equipment and lower capital operational expenses needed to run the plant compared to existing technologies.
Electronics Era: What are the market opportunities you are looking for in the context of India in Ethanol to Jet-Fuel?
Deepak Bisht: With an increasing focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, India is currently one of the world’s largest consumers of jet fuel, and there exists a significant market opportunity for Honeywell in the context of ethanol to jet fuel. The Indian government has set lofty goals for increasing the percentage of ethanol in transportation fuels, aiming for 20% by 2025. Currently, India relies primarily on sugarcane-based ethanol production, but there is room for expansion into other feedstocks such as maize and rice.
However, challenges such as limited infrastructure and technological constraints must be addressed before the full potential of ethanol production for jet fuel in India can be realised. To address the challenges, Honeywell has developed innovative technologies that enable the efficient production of renewable jet fuel from ethanol as part of its strong commitment to sustainable energy solutions. One of Honeywell’s key strengths is its proprietary Ethanol to Jet fuel Technology which converts bioethanol into high-quality jet fuel using advanced catalysts and process design. This technology ensures superior performance while adhering to strict aviation regulations. Additionally, Honeywell’s extensive experience in the refining and petrochemical industries enables it to provide comprehensive support throughout the ethanol-to-jet-fuel conversion process. Honeywell provides end-to-end solutions that ensure seamless implementation, from feasibility studies and engineering design to plant construction and optimisation.
In conclusion, the market opportunities for ethanol-to-jet fuel in India’s aviation industry are gaining traction. As a major player in fuel technology, Honeywell is actively promoting the benefits of ethanol-based sustainable aviation fuel to industry stakeholders through collaboration and participation in industry events. Indian airlines can effectively reduce carbon emissions and improve their sustainability credentials by embracing ethanol as a viable alternative to conventional jet fuel.
Industry leaders are successfully raising awareness about the best practises and benefits of using sustainable aviation fuel in India through comprehensive educational campaigns and the sharing of success stories. This collaborative effort will aid in the overall growth and development of the country’s ethanol-to-jet fuel market, fostering a more sustainable and environmentally conscious aviation sector.
Electronics Era: As we already know that various companies use conventional products for many years according to their ease, how far do you see that being costly and in a competitive market these products are acceptable by manufacturers? What are the challenges you face to implement these products?
Deepak Bisht: Manufacturers’ acceptance of alternative, sustainable products in a fiercely competitive market is influenced by a variety of factors, including cost, perceived value, and familiarity with traditional solutions. While traditional products have long been used due to their ease of integration and existing investments, the evolving landscape of sustainability and environmental consciousness is reshaping market dynamics.
In the face of competition, manufacturers frequently rely on traditional products, despite potential cost implications. The acceptance of these well-established solutions can be attributed to factors such as prior investments in training and infrastructure specifically designed for the use of traditional products. Because of this familiarity and established workflow, manufacturers may find it difficult to justify the transition to alternative, sustainable options, which may necessitate additional investments and adjustments to existing processes.
Given the dynamic construct of sustainability, organizations in the pursuit of sustainable innovation have faced their own share of challenges. One of the most difficult challenges for companies pursuing sustainable innovation, including Honeywell, is striking a balance between profitability and environmental responsibility. While sustainable products are crucial for reducing carbon footprints and conserving natural resources, they often require significant investments in research, development, and production processes. Aside from that, there are other variables to consider, such as:
- Policy and regulatory barriers: Being global corporation, Honeywell faces significant challenges in implementing sustainable products due to policy and regulatory barriers as well as due to the various legal frameworks and regulations in various countries and regions. This necessitates adherence to complex environmental, health, and safety standards that differ from one jurisdiction to the next. The company must invest significant resources in understanding and adapting to these various requirements.
- Inconsistencies and changes in policy can also create uncertainty for product development and market access. To overcome these legal barriers, strong advocacy efforts, engagement with policymakers, and active participation in shaping regulations that promote sustainability are required. Honeywell must form strategic alliances with key stakeholders in order to influence policy development, streamline compliance processes, and ensure a smooth global transition to sustainable practises.
- Customer awareness and adoption: Customer awareness and adoption are two other major challenges for Honeywell in implementing sustainable products. Many consumers are still unaware of the environmental and personal benefits that sustainable products can provide. It is critical to educate customers about these benefits in order to increase demand for sustainable solutions. To overcome this, we invest in targeted marketing campaigns emphasising the benefits of their sustainable products in terms of energy efficiency, reduced emissions, and cost savings.
- Supply chain complexities: Another challenge is that the company must ensure product sustainability throughout the entire product lifecycle, from raw material sourcing to manufacturing and distribution. One significant challenge is identifying suppliers who share Honeywell’s commitment to sustainability. This entails conducting extensive assessments to ensure compliance with environmental standards and ethical practises
Furthermore, incorporating sustainable practises into existing supplier relationships necessitates clear communication and collaboration. Another layer of complexity arises from the need to strike a balance between cost-efficiency and sustainability goals.
Electronics Era: If we are talking about your sustainable products, which kind of response do you gain from the Indian market?
Deepak Bisht: A recent survey conducted by PwC Global Consumer Insights Pulse reveals that Indian consumers plan to cut back their spending on non-essential products, with around 88% of Indian consumers are willing to spend on products that are either made locally or are sustainable in nature. India follows a holistic approach towards its 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The country has taken on a leading role as an aspiring change-maker in tackling climate change and in framing developmental schemes aligned with its declared SDG commitments (as adopted in September 2015) that encompass environmental and social dimensions of development.
Honeywell is at the forefront of developing technologies that help organizations – both large and small – achieve their environmental, social, and governance (ESG) /net zero goals. These breakthrough technologies are changing the quality of life for citizens, while also ensuring a cleaner, greener and more sustainable future for the next generation. Honeywell’s sustainable products have received an extremely favourable response in the Indian market. With growing concerns about environmental conservation and the need for long-term solutions, Indian consumers have enthusiastically embraced Honeywell’s offerings. Honeywell’s innovative eco-friendly product and solutions that cater to the need of infrastructure, aviation and air travel, oil & gas refining, process industries, buildings and others has been well received by environmentally conscious Indian consumers.
Electronics Era: Who are your targeted customers?
Deepak Bisht: Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) delivers industry-specific solutions that include aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help aircraft, buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/newsroom.