TOKYO, Japan ― Renesas Electronics Corporation has released its first Sustainability Report, which details Renesas’ Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategies, initiatives, and results during the fiscal year 2022 ending December 31, 2022. This report also highlights Renesas’ commitment to supporting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals throughout its global operations and supply chain, and in the workplace.
“With over 21,000 employees around the world, we are united under one mission. We want to build a safer, greener, and smarter world where technology helps make our lives easier,” said Hidetoshi Shibata, President and CEO. “My core belief is that the semiconductor products and solutions Renesas develops directly contribute to achieving a sustainable future. Our advanced technologies in smart factories and homes, connected cars, and EVs are great examples. We strive to enhance our quality of life, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and preserving natural resources.”
2022 Sustainability Highlights
We have made steady progress towards our environmental protection goals.
- Pledged commitment to carbon neutrality by 2050
- Reduced GHG emissions by 6.6%
- Reduced energy consumption by 1.2%
- Obtained SBTi validation on GHG emission reduction target
- Improved water intensity by 38%
- Achieved water recycling rate of 32%
- Maintained waste recycling rate at 92%
- Obtained third-party verification of environmental data
- Endorsed TCFD recommendations and expanded our reporting framework
- In FY2022, Renesas Green Devices accounted for 93% of new product development and approximately 60% of total sales including affiliated products (See more details in the report)
We have continued to invest in our people’s health and safety and professional development, while increasing supplier engagement to achieve our global ESG goals together.
- Provided emergency funding and support to our employees in Ukraine
- Launched additional workforce flexibility initiatives and global employee education
- Hosted multiple Diversity, Equity and Inclusion seminars and panel discussions
- Expanded Diversity Promotion Group and the Women in Technology Employee Resource Group across the company
- Established the Renesas Electronics Group Human Rights Policy and implemented the first human rights due diligence
- Achieved 97% employee participation in human rights e-learning course
- Received 90%+ supplier response to the Self-Assessment Questionnaire and confirmed agreement to our Supplier Code of Conduct
- Obtained ISO 45001 certification for our main production bases in Japan
- Included in CDP 2022 Supplier Engagement Leaderboard
We have enhanced our governance structure to allow more agility, faster problem-solving, and value creation in a sustainable way.
- Achieved Board gender diversity target of 20% in March 2022
- Completed the first materiality assessment
- Established a Security Council consisting of the CEO, CFO, General Counsel and the heads of IT and HR
- Enhanced cybersecurity
- Revised Renesas Global Code of Conduct
To view and download the full 2022 Sustainability Report, please visit renesas.com/SustainabilityReport2022.